Nikolas Cruz the gunman charged! The authorities on Thursday charged a 19-year-old man who is suspected of gunning down students and adults at his former high school with 17 counts of premeditated murder.
The suspect, Nikolas Cruz, was booked into jail in Broward County. He had been expelled from Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, a small, bucolic city about an hour north of Miami, which on Wednesday became the site of one of the deadliest shootings in modern United States history, adding to the growing toll of mass killings on school grounds.“This is catastrophic,” said Sheriff Scott Israel of Broward County, who has three children who graduated from the school. “There really are no words.”
The authorities said the AR-15 rifle that Mr. Cruz used in the attack was purchased legally. “No laws were violated in the procurement of this weapon,” said Peter J. Forcelli, the special agent in charge for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives in Miami.
Videos taken from inside the school captured the terror as students crouched for shelter, screaming as the sound of gunfire rang out near them.
With the Parkland shooting, three of the 10 deadliest mass shootings in modern United States history have come in the last five months.
The gunman said ‘I don’t go to school on Valentine’s Day,’ according to a lawyer.
On weekday mornings, Mr. Cruz usually got up to catch a ride to the adult education courses that the family he had stayed with after his mother’s death last year had encouraged him to attend, the family’s lawyer, Jim Lewis, told CNN. But on Wednesday, he refused to get up, Mr. Lewis said.
Via- More on NYTIMES