Fuze Local

Vigilance Group Member Kills Friend Over N100

The police in Ogun State have launched a manhunt for a member of a vigilance group, Oluwaseun Olusanya, for allegedly killing his friend, Adeniyi Shokoya, in the Oru Ijebu area of the state. Olusanya and Shokoya had an altercation over the collection of a N100 fee from a resident. The suspect allegedly pushed 38-year-old Shokoya, after which the victim fell and died.

It’s gathered that on Monday, May 30, at about 4pm, the duo had gone to the Ile Oba area in Oru Ijebu, for a meeting of the vigilance group members. It was also learnt that during the meeting, Shokoya wanted to raise the issue of the disagreement over the N100, but the chairman of the vigilance group allegedly did not allow him.

It’s said, that after the meeting, Olusanya confronted the deceased for wanting to expose the issue at the meeting. The two men reportedly had a heated argument after which the suspect pushed the victim and he fell, injuring his head in the process. He was reportedly rushed to a hospital where he was confirmed dead.

The matter was reported at the Tapon Police Division, Ijebu Igbo, and later transferred to the Area Command in Igbeba, Ijebu Ode. A family member, who did not want her name in print, said Shokoya died because other members of the vigilance group failed to come to his aid, alleging that they took sides with the suspect.

He said, “The fight between the two started when the vigilance group meeting ended around 6pm. This man, Olusanya, beat up Shokoya for daring to raise the issue of the N100 fee at their meeting. When the fight started, other vigilance group members, instead of separating them, began to hail Olusanya.

“At a point, the suspect ran in and brought an axe and hit the victim on the head. That was when others rescued him and rushed him to a hospital; but he was badly injured. He died around 4.30am on Tuesday, May 31.

“Shokoya was a fridge repairer. He was married with two children. The suspect, his wife and children have fled Oru Ijebu since the day of the incident. The suspect’s father was arrested on that day, but the police later granted him bail.”

A police source said that the police at the area command said they would declare the suspect wanted.

He said, “The police met the deceased’s family members on Monday. We had earlier gone to the suspect’s house. His room was broken into, and the police have his pictures. He will be declared wanted if he is not arrested within our target time.”


He added that the police were on the trail of Olusanya.

He said, “Two of them were members of a vigilance group. The suspect pushed the deceased and he fell. He was rushed to a hospital where he was confirmed dead. The police are awaiting the result of the autopsy, which has been conducted.

“The suspect is at large. We are going to get him. Investigation into the matter is ongoing.”



Click to comment

Most Popular

  • Follow Us on Instagram

  • To Top